Castilla y León
Become an Auxiliar de Conversación in the Community of Castilla y León
Teach English in Castilla y León and Live the ConversaSpain Experience!
The Community of Castilla y León is the biggest region in Spain. Composed of nine provinces (Ávila, Burgos, León, Palencia, Salamanca, Segovia, Soria, Valladolid, and Zamora), it’s a land of contrasts spiced by well-known landmarks like Segovia’s aqueduct, Burgos’ and Leon’s cathedrals, or the oldest archaeological site in Europe: Atapuerca. Some of the oldest and most historic cities are found in this area.
This region holds several biosphere reserves, being Picos de Europa the most famous one. Castilla y León is the cradle of the Spanish language and roots, so if you are looking to improve your Spanish skills, this is your place!
Community of Castilla y León
14 teaching hours per week
4 teaching days a week
€800 monthly stipend (tax-free)
Health coverage included
Primary and secondary schools
Placements in the capital cities, towns, and villages (pueblos)
8 months (Oct-May) or 5 months (Jan-May)
Paid school holidays (Christmas, Easter, and local festivities), except for the summer period
In-person orientation day where you will meet other Auxiliares de Conversación
Requirements to Teach English in Castilla y León with ConversaSpain
- Be a native-level English speaker from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, or hold a C2 English certificate (CEFR) or equivalent if you are from Bulgaria, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, India, Luxembourg, Norway, the Netherlands, the Philippines, and Sweden.
- Hold a university/college degree (e.g.: Bachelor, Master, NQF7, Associate’s, or equivalent) in any subject, or be enrolled, at least, in the second year of your university degree.
- Be aged up to 59 at the beginning of the program.
- Have a clean background check.
- Speaking Spanish is NOT a requirement
Choose Your ConversaSpain Experience!
ConversaSpain Support Fee
ConversaSpain Support & TEFL Certification Fee
Become an Auxiliar de Conversación in Castilla y León
And enjoy the ConversaSpain Experience!
Practical Information for an Auxiliar de Conversación in Castilla y León
Cost of Living in Castilla y León
Auxiliares de Conversación who teach English in Castilla y León receive €800 (tax-free) per month, which is enough to live in this affordable region. Salaries in Spain are significantly lower than those in the USA, Canada, the UK, or Australia. However, living costs reflect this and participants should find themselves living comfortably in Castilla y León, which has Spain’s seventh-lowest cost of living.
Here are some examples of the cost of living in Burgos (one of Spain’s most famous and beautiful cities located in Castilla y León) from Numbeo to get a general idea:
- Litre of milk = €0.87
- Box of 12 large eggs = €1.96
- Ticket to the movies = €7.50
- A coffee = €1.65
- Meal, inexpensive restaurant = €11.50
- Gym membership for one month = €33
- Monthly pass for public transport in Castilla y León = €25
- Basic utilities (electricity, heating, cooling, water, garbage) = €103
Finding Accommodation in Castilla y LeónTracking down a place to live in the Community of Castilla y León won’t be as daunting as apartment hunting in large urban areas like Madrid, which is often overwhelming. While searching for lodging, understanding the difference between a room (or habitación) and an apartment (or piso) is vital. We don’t recommend renting an entire apartment taking into account the monthly stipend. It’s cheaper and socially favorable to share an apartment with other professionals. Signing a long-lasting lease contract before visiting the region and the school’s area may not be the best idea. Once at the school, some other teachers might be keen on sharing a flat. Our recommendation is to:
- Book temporary accommodation online for the first few days in Castilla y León.
- Select a few reasonable places for long-term rental and schedule a few visits.
- Check those apartments once in Spain. Do not sign a contract until you have seen the place!
Where Can You Live the ConversaSpain Experience in Castilla y León?
All placements are managed by the Regional Education Authority and there are diverse locations within the Region of Castilla y León where you can be placed.
There are nine main cities: one capital city per province. On top of this, this region has charming towns and villages to enjoy nature’s treats! Life is laid-back. People in Castilla y León are very friendly and welcoming, and always eager to embrace newcomers. This region is one of the hidden gems of Spain: breathtaking nature, astonishing castles, and historical sites, and all of this without the overcrowding of tourists you will find in other areas!
Your Spanish Adventure Awaits You!
Enjoy the Auxi-life in Castilla y León